.:My first online diary of symbolisms, anachronisms and digitized memories:. .:Mi primer diario en internet lleno de simbolismos y memorias digitalizadas:.

9/23/2003

.:If I howl at the moon, will it howl back?:.

For the past year, I've been dealing with a huge loss in my life: my mother and I've been getting back to a big passion in my life: photography. I can't bring my mother back. I can only move forward. So what I've decided is that I want to study photography and now for real.

The thing is: I went to an extremely well respected art school. The name is RISD which is short for Rhode Island School of Design. RISD was the only school I wanted to go to. I even had a backup plan just in case I didn't get in. But alas, I did. And I was extremely happy. One of the major factors on me getting in was my photography portfolio. The funny thing of all this was that half a year later, during Freshman Foundation, I was hanging out in my 3 dimensional design class led by Al deCredico and I took my camera out and started to take pictures. All of the sudden he asks me if I'm gonna mayor in photography. I tell him: "that's why I'm here". He asks me what kind of pictures does your portfolio have? I describe some of the pictures to him. After that he looks pensive and I wonder what he's thinking. He actually says: "I remember that portfolio! I was really happy with it. I thought it was an extremely good portfolio. -I'm just paraphrasing here but the idea is that this conversation did take place even though not exactly as portrayed here.-
I remember I was excited and honored that such an amazing teacher would remember my portfolio...

A year later I end up changing my major to film/video/animation. So I everything changed because of that one decision. I can't say that I'm sorry I decided film instead of photography at the end. I can only say that I feel like I miss many technical aspects within photography that I still want to learn. I regret nothing. Especially because I believe that things happen for a reason. I was meant to study film, now I'm meant to study photography. Yes, photography.

I recently had a conversation on msn with my best friend Mimi, and she told me the good news that NYU offers a graduate level course in photography. And the best thing is, that NYU has a direct relationship with ICP which is the International Center of Photography. This news got my blood pumping again. I immediately decided to learn all I could about the program and download the application. It's all downloaded and now I need two letters of recommendation and a 20 slide portfolio with all new work. I have to get to work but now it will be for a purpose which I know will inspire me to turn in some great slides. Now all I need to figure out is who to ask for the letters of recommendation...

Man, am I psyched... :)

|